As far as inspirations go Vidal Sassoon is up there in my top ten people to know. You do not need to be a hairstylist or even care much about hair to be inspired by Vidal. I will break it down on the top ten reasons Why you should know Vidal Sassoon.
1. Vidal was credited for creating the wedge bob haircut. One of the most widely sd styles that is still used today.
2. He changed how hair was worn as we know it today. Sassoon studied under the flamboyant Raymond Bessund who set and styled hair as did everyone to be worn as a nice a week style. Sassoon rejected this style of hair and created wha t we now know as “wash and wear” hair. No longer were there weekly appointments, now you could wait a month! Thank you Vidal!
3. In the 60’s Sassoon’s cuts were as popular as the mini skirt. Angular,geometric cuts were the rage an we owe that homage to Vidal!
4. Mia Farrow famously got her hair cut by Sassoon for the movie “Rosemary’s Baby”. Her new chic pixie crop was very “in” and was even quoted in the movie when Farrow’s character says ” It’s Vidal Sassoon. It’s very in.”
5. Sassoon was an avid fan of architecture and all his haircuts were based on inspirations of geometric shapes and techniques he created because of his love of Bauhaus architecture.
6. Coined the now famous and everlasting Vidal Sassoon slogan
“If you don’t look good, we don’t look good”
Need I say more?
There are many stylists that still follow his techniques and philosophy! Make sure to ask your hairstylist if they trained in a “Sassoon” way if you want precision!