I have always struggled with tangles. Today’s post is all about how to Get rid of tangled hair for GOOD.
De-tangling hair can make or (literally) break your hair. Why? When your hair is wet it causes hair to become elastic. The stronger your hair is the more elasticity it will have to pull and regain its original shape. The weaker your hair is, the hair will stretch and then just break off when you brush it. Here are my step by step ways to keep your hair tangle free and without unnecessary breakage.
1. Purchase a high quality hair brush that contains both nylon and boar bristles. If your hair is particularly fine and weak stick with just boar bristles and if your hair is tremendousely thick and coarse go with all nylon bristles. Most people fall into the mix of both for their brush. Yes, you are going to pay more up front but you will save in the end by purchasing a higher quality brush because these types of brushes do not pull your hair like other brushes. I happen to LOVE and cherish the Mason Pearson Brushes They are of the highest quality boar and nylon and will last you a lifetime. These brushes start at around $100.00 and more depending on size and bristle that you purchase. You can find Mason Pearson knock offs but you will not get the same quality and it can end up causing your hair more damage than good. Set aside some extra spending cash and treat yourself to the Cadillac of hair brushes.
2. Start from the very bottom of your hair length to de-tangle and work your way up. Most people start at the top of your head and vigorously rip down their hair to get those tangles out. You will only cause more tangles and pain to yourself if you do it this way! While your hair is dry before you get in the shower, start from the bottom and gently work your way up getting all tangles out.
3. Once your hair is tangle free you can either braid your hair ( if it is night time and you want to keep it tangle free till morning) or jump in the shower to start your day. Once you are in the shower you should have a Wet Brush Conveniently in your shower so when you use your conditioner you can gently use your wet brush to further de-tangle and left over snarly hairs. The Wet Brush is under $10.00 and works like a charm! The bristles are very flexible so you do not get the “pull” you would get from other brushes. DO NOT use your Mason Pearson in the shower. You will ruin your brush and throw a beautifully crafted masterpiece down the drain!
4. Gently towel dry hair and use a nickel to quarter size dollop of Diamond Oil serum From Seven Hair Care line. After trying thousands of products this anti-frizz, shine serum is second to none. It does not weigh down hair like most others and gives you a prism shine. You can use on dry hair as well to tame fly-away hair as well. A little goes a long way. Not to mention the best smell and the entire line in under $30.00 for products using vey high quality ingredients. The Diamond oil has Vitamin E, Coconut Oil and Sweet Almond oil to name a few. Brilliant product!
5. Repeat these steps everyday or whenever you wash. ALthough the dry de-tangling should absolutely be done everyday. You will notice the more you do this the more time you will have to get on with your life and less struggle with your hair!
Feel free to comment, ask questions, or take pictures of your personal results and share with me! Cheers to you and your beautiful hair. Now go and Get rid of tangled hair for GOOD.
– xoxo Jules